When we got married, my wife Mary and I set down some ground rules. Just five simple guidelines to assure our unending happiness. They are as follows:
5) At no time may Jonathan leave the house wearing tighter pants than Mary
4) No doing things that might result in appearing on the local news; this includes witnessing crimes, winning the lottery, and living next door to serial-killers [1. credit for this rule goes to superlibrarian and Meredith Sommers]
3) Should one of us die early, the other is only allowed to remarry on the condition that their new spouse is uglier
2) Mary is allowed to have as many children as she wants on the condition that Jonathan may raise them like Mr. Von Trapp—whistle and all
1) No blogging. Ever
As you can see, these rules are listed in order of importance. Tight pants can be changed out of, but once a guy starts blogging . . .
My reason for creating this page is twofold. First of all, I have a children’s book coming out this year and I wanted to create a place where I could post updates and event information. Second, and more importantly, I wanted to get my hands dirty! There are so many amazing children’s book blogs in the world, and I wanted to involve myself beyond the occasional anonymous comment . . .
This site will contain a lot of drawings--because I draw a lot of what I see. It will also have opinions. My wife has told me I have a unique love for developing “theories” about books, movies, art, and the world. Now, at last, I will have a place to put those theories. One that doesn’t interrupt my wife while she’s trying to write her dissertation. [2. which is on Victorian children's literature. Hot.]
So now it’s just you and me, dear reader. And before we get started, I thought it would be smart to lay down a few blogging ground rules. Just five simple guidelines to ensure our unending happiness. They are as follows:
5) Jonathan will post relevant material at least four times a week, and the reader will excitedly eat up every blessed word
4) Jonathan will never post pictures of adorable pets
3) Jonathan will not post “content” pertaining to what he ate for lunch
2) Jonathan will proofread his posts before hitting “upload,” and the reader will forgive him if a few typos slip through
1) No all caps. EVER.