A Call from the Mouse …

Walt-Disney-Screencaps-The-Walt-Disney-Logo-walt-disney-characters-31865565-2560-1440

Hello friends! The announcements came through the trades today–DISNEY JUST OPTIONED NIGHT GARDENER! From Variety:

Disney has bought the rights to Jonathan Auxier’s “The Night Gardener.”

It will be developed by Sean Bailey’s Disney live-action group with Auxier adapting the script. Jim Whitaker will produce.

The book is Auxier’s follow-up to his widely popular “Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes,” with this story following two orphan siblings who travel to work as servants at the creepy, crumbling Windsor estate, but neither the house nor its inhabitants are quite what they seem. Soon the children are confronted by a mysterious specter and an ancient curse that threatens their very lives.

Disney has had quite the success lately of remaking their animated classics such as “Cinderella,” which just passed the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office, and “Maleficent,” but this acquisition shows they are still interested in developing original IPs.

Obviously this is still very far from being an actual movie, but thrilling nonetheless!

• Chris Heide says:

Hi Jonathan,
    Congrats on the Disney deal! Has “The Night Gardener” been adapted for stage? Please have a look at our company’s website and jot me an email if you have a moment. Thanks, Chris.

• Sarah R. says:

I have just finished reading The Night Gardener for my school. It was one of the best books I have ever read!!!!! I am so excited to read Peter Nimble and his Fantastic Eyes!! I am going to email my teacher and let her know about this website because she also read this book. Please write more books!!!
    From, Sarah

• Hi Jonathan,
    We read the Night Gardner aloud as a family and just finished it tonight. Thanks so much for a fantastic read for my boys (10 & 12), and all of us. I am always thrilled when my boys are wanting more of good literature rather than pushing it away for lesser choices. They hated it whenever I closed the book for bedtime. We can’t wait for the eventual movie! Kristen

• Recha Lista says:

Hi, Jonathan, I just finished reading your book (The Night Gardener). I really like it. I am crying when Hester dying, I am crying when I think Kip will also died, I am crying when Constance said Molly can stay as family. I really enjoy your book, and with these, your book being one of my favorite currently. I wish I could meet you. I from indonesia, sorry if my english not good enough, and maybe you can visit Indonesia!!

• Recha Lista says:

Hi, Jonathan, I just finished reading your book (The Night Gardener). I really like it. I am crying when Hester dying, I am crying when I think Kip will also died, I am crying when Constance said Molly can stay as family. I really enjoy your book, and with these, your book being one of my favorite currently. I wish I could meet you. I from indonesia, sorry if my english not good enough, and maybe you can visit Indonesia. From, Recha..

• Allen Ng says:

That is soooo cool!!!! Actually it took me a while to get the Night Gardner out of my head whenever I sleep, but I still think it’s great story and Disney will take good care of it!

• Bryan Thiessen says:

This is great news! I’ve been watching the development of The BFG with nervous excitement, and I hope that Disney can extend the care and craftsmanship that they’ve shown with their Mega IPs (Star Wars, Marvel, and their own animated feature library) to turn The Night Gardener into something remarkable and memorable.