Pictures of Penny

As many of you know, a few months back, my wife and I brought home our very first human baby.  In advance of the birth, I had made a point of leaving Mary cute little sketches of what our baby might look like — most all of which she deemed “terrifying.”  I thought I’d share them with readers …

And now, here’s the real deal!  This is Penelope Fern Auxier.  Not quite as many fangs as I’d imagined …

• Tiff says:

1. She’s adorable and much less creepy than your drawings. Congrats!
    2. WHERE did you get that onesie? I must get one for my sis-in-law who has a newborn!
    3. Now following you on twitter.

Cheers,
    Tiff

• Adorable kiddo! And the second-to-last sketch vaguely reminds me of that creepy Stephen Gammell art in the old Scary Stories books.

• Alexandra Valint says:

I’d like to know more about the non-human babies that you and Mary brought home before bringing home your first *human* baby.

• Sarah says:

Love the drawings and glad that Precious Penny does is beautiful in her human form. Looking forward to seeing some of your family next weekend!

• james f says:

beautiful. i love your drawings AND your baby!

she’s adorable. congratulations again!

• Amanda says:

Hi,

As part of a reading incentive run by our library for the summer hols, your book was one that my daughter chose to read. As soon as I read the blurb to her, we knew we had to bring it home. We have thoroughly enjoyed the experience, as has anyone else listening in :)

As a dyslexic she is eager for the audio book to be available so she can listen again.

• Laura Brand says:

Congratulations. I love her name. I have previously decided that if I ever have a biological girl, she will be ” Fern” (from Charlotte’s Web, of course). I love children’s lit, and your book is my 9 year old son’s favorite book so far. His 13 year old sister and I loved it too. The kids were adopted two and a half years ago. Both could hardly read at the time, but books like yours have given them a whole new perspective on something that used to be a boring chore.

• Laura Brand says:

My comment above was written using a couple angle brackets which got removed and took out some of the text in this sentence: “I have previously decided that if I ever have a biological girl, she will be ”some-3-syllable-name Fern” (from Charlotte’s Web, of course).”

• Congratulations, and kudos to you for picking such an exemplary name. I brought home a Penelope a number of years ago, and she turned out quite satisfactorily. Yours is exceptionally adorable. Fun sketches, too :)

• Michael Tzipori says:

A beautiful baby! Mazel tov! I met you last February when you were our guest author at Ventura Unified’s Battle of the Books. This year, Peter Nimble is on the list. Tomorrow I will present to our club at Cabrillo Middle School (for which I am now the librarian!) yours and Peter’s website.
    No news yet on my wife and my book, Doughboy Dog, but I remember fondly your encouraging words.
    Again, mazel tov on your precious Penny,
    Michael